Friday, January 15, 2010

A Healthy Tip...

Wow, find one blog and then you've instanly found 10 more!  It's so awesome that everyone shares so much- recipes, tutorials, crafty ideas, great websites, etc.  So I thought maybe I could share something, and feel like I'm contributing a little too.  BTW, thank you to all of you who have shared so much good stuff!

So pretty recently I discovered this yummy way to do tortillas online somewhere- lots of you have already heard me raving!  I grew up on the fried tortillas for tacos- drenched in a pan full of oil- so bad but so good! When I'm in my healthier mood, I go for the soft taco style but it's just not near the same!  I like the crunch!  So....... here's what I do now:
Put the oven on broil, and lay a tortilla flat on a cookie sheet. Spray the top with a thin layer of this:
Olive Oil in a spray can (like the spray butter)
Then put it in the oven for a couple minutes (you have to watch it). When it starts to brown, and maybe even bubble up a little, pull it out and fold it in half. It's a crunchy tortilla NOT drenched in oil! It's so YUMMY!
*and this works great for delicious crunchy quesadillas...

Now, if while that's cooking you heat up some cut up peppers and chicken (the ones in the back of Fresh&Easy- already seasoned and cooked), you have fajitas in 10 minutes! 
I'm a BIG fan of 10 minute meals!

There is one thing I took from mom's kitchen that I will NEVER change though- these two make the PERFECT pair:

Mix them together and mmmmmm, good taco topping (especially if your not a fan of plain sour cream like us).

7 comments:

  1. MMMMM, that sounds good! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a can of that olive oil flavor cooking spray and I love it! I use it a lot to make paninis. I'll have to remember this tip for tacos. :) Thanks Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jamie, that is a GREAT tip! I am on Weight Watchers (for life) and I will for sure be giving this a try!
    YUMMO...and you are so right about the sharing ideas thing with blogging. It is so great! Thanks for your contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some of this spray to, but I think a different brand. I will definitely try this recipe. Do you shop fresh and easy a lot? I don't know what to buy there, but I will try this chicken for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We shop there every week! In the very back on the right they have chicken, already cooked and seasoned and cut into little strips- I use that all the time for quick salads, sandwiches, and tacos. Cereal is like $2-3 there! They have a really good breaded and seasoned chicken there too that you just put in a pan for 8 minutes and it's done. Their spinach dip is awesome! And it's not bad for you either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jamie. I found your blog through my sister's. Your little girl is so cute! Thanks for the tip on tacos, I am definitely going to try that. Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip Jamie!! I always use the Trade Joe's canola oil spray but I recetnly heard the olive oil spray brings MUCH more flavor so I'm def going to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I always look forward to them!