Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Well, it's the new year, and for a lot of people that means a fresh start, and motivation.  For me, it means the end of my break with my baby girl, and all the extra time I get to spend with my sweet hubby!  I did get to thinking, however about new year's resolutions, and what I'd like to change this year.  Well, 100 things came to mind. There's the usual work out more, eat healthier, keep up on housework, laugh more, be wiser with my money, strenthen my marriage, spend less time worrying or stressing about small stuff, etc. I think change or being a better person all comes down to our commitments.  I've heard it said that if you want to know what you value most in life, look at what you put your time and energy into most.  Well, I put a lot of time into my family, my job, and of course my pictures (my treasured memories).  But where does God stand in my list?  I'm a Christian, and that means I should be putting God first in my life- above EVERYTHING.  In all honesty, I can't say I always do that.  I love God, but I think sometimes I spend too much time enjoying my blessings and not enough time with the one who has given me those blessings.  I know that must break God's heart because having a child now, I can see things so much more clearly.  The Bible says God loves me more than I love Bailey (that is difficult for me to wrap my mind around).  Sometimes I imagine if all day, Bailey just played in the apartment we provide for her, with the toys we were so excited to give her, and all her books and things she loves, and never once looked up at me.  If you have a baby you know you'll do anything for a smile, even if you have to look like a total idiot! What if I was there trying to get her attention and she never looked up at me, or showed me that she loved me.  That would kill me! That's what God does.  He sits, patiently waiting for us to look up, show him that we love Him.  When I think about that it really hits home.  He has given me so much, what am I giving him?  He gave His life, so I could live forever, and all the blessings and joy I have in life, and all he he wants is me, just as I am.  Not my money, not my good works and charity, just my time and my worship.  That is my New Year's resolution this year.  I'm not perfect, and I'm not a "good" person all the time, and I'm sure I'll mess up, but my goal this year is to put God first in everything, starting with my time. The Bible says "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" (Matthew 6:33). If I seek Him, everything else will be added and fall into place- my marriage will be stronger, finances better, less stress, and I can be closer to being that Godly woman of character that I hope to be.  So I think I can knock out all 100 new year's resolutions with just one!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Good word, I think that's a great New Year's Resolution. We can get overwhelmed thinking of all the things we have to do better, and when God has our attention everything becomes easier to cope with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie ~ You are amazing! What a blessing you are to all of us who love you. Thank you for the beautiful words of wisdom. ~Joni~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said!

    I found your blog from Genns. Your little girl is super cute. You look beautiful as well.

    Looking forward to reading your blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I always look forward to them!