Saturday, May 22, 2010

The park.... again!

On this beautiful Saturday Bailey and I decided to head out and find some fun.  I mentioned the park and she went crazy, running to the door!  So, to the park we went.  Man, she loves that place! 

I took my camera along so I could try to learn some things.  I've been so frustrated lately every time I take pictures outside when the sun is high in the sky... BRIGHT highlights, DARK shadows= not so great pics.  I always focus on exposing the subject correctly, but then the sky or sometimes even my whole background seems blown out, like in my last post. And I wasn't sure how to fix it!  I need an assistant/nanny/housekeeper who also is a professional photographer that can answer my questions as they come up... that also works for free.  Do you know any?

So for now my solution is to take the pictures at a little lower exposure so the background isn't blown out, and then lighten the shadows and mid-tones in photoshop.  That's the best I can think of for now. 
Is it too much to ask for Bailey to wait for all outdoor activities until just before sundown when it is bright but the lighting is even?  Yah, that's not happening.  Also, it's not like I can pose her facing a certain way that is ideal either.  I just have to take what I can get!  It's helping me learn I guess!

So here are some from the park.  Look! The sky is not bright white!  It's (a little) blue! Sorry, this stuff gets me excited.


She had to ride each springy thingy!




She had a blast on the slide



And back for more!


Fun hair!


She always tries to do this.  It must stink being so little sometimes :)


Then we went to Chick Fil-A for lunch! (I was holding a french fry... it's not easy getting this girl to look at my camera!)



And at some point I realized I had given her KETCHUP without a bib!  Amazingly, the shirt stayed clean.  Sometimes miracles happen!

We had a fun morning and after she wakes up we are going to go feed the ducks.  I think there are babies now!


4 comments:

  1. Cute pictures Jamie. You did pretty good for dealing with the sun at high noon! I have learned so much about what kind of lighting is best to shoot in, that now I always want to take pics at sunset too, and it's hard because that is when things start winding down and the girls need dinner and baths. Ahh well, that's life.

    Did you use your 24-70 for those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics Jamie! Bailey is so darling. One of these days, I would love to have a play date with all the kiddos.
    I need to learn more about my camera. I just haven't had the desire lately with so much going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures look really good! I hate when I get shadows...which feels like all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is NOTHING wrong with the park "again" especially when 1) your subject is so stinkin perfect 2) she even looks great with static hair and 3) you enjoyed every minute :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I always look forward to them!